Derek Jeter Tells NBC's Brian Williams He Wants a Family When Baseball Is Done

Bookmark and Share

Derek Jeter wants a family once his Hall of Fame career is over.


The Yankee shortstop and captain spoke exclusively to NBC News' Brian Williams before his 20-year run ends on Sunday. Jeter is scheduled to play his last game at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night - provided the rain stays away.


He says he looks forward to having a family but never thought he could juggle it with his baseball schedule.


'I have the utmost respect for these guys that are able to do it - you know, missing their kids' birthdays and not being able to see them play tee ball or summer ball and missing a lot of time,' he told Williams.


'So it's another reason why I feel as though now's the time. I mean, I want to have a family. Who knows when it's gonna be? But I look forward to it.'



In the meantime, he's looking forward to a break.


'I've been on a schedule for - you know, I've been doing this professionally for 23 years,' Jeter said. 'And, you know, I've been playing baseball since I've been 4 or 5. So I really haven't had much time off. I'm not complaining. But I'm looking forward to having some time off.'


Jeter, who has won five World Series and amassed more than 3,400 hits - good for sixth in baseball history - has been famously guarded about the details of his private life.


'I think once you open that door and you share everything with everyone, there's no closing it,' he told Williams. 'You have to keep some things special. And for me, my private life is what I like to keep special.'


SOCIAL

First published September 25 2014, 3:30 PM


{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.