'I think I'm really mentally ill': Teen who plotted mass shooting at his Minnesota ...

Bookmark and Share

KARE


The Minnesota teen accused of plotting a mass shooting at his high school said he had a good family and was never bullied - but he had harbored homicidal thoughts for years.


John LaDue, 17 - who was arrested in April while going into a storage unit where he stored a cache of weapons - allegedly told investigators that he planned to attack Waseca Junior and Senior High School after slaying his family.


'I have good parents. I live in a good town,' LaDue told investigators, according to a transcript of his interview that was released on Tuesday.


'I think I'm really mentally ill. And no one has noticed. I've been trying to hide it.'


The twisted teen said he was going to kill his mother, father and sister inside their home about 75 miles south of Minneapolis only because it would help increase the final body count.


'They did nothing wrong,' he said. 'I just wanted as many victims as possible.'


LaDue kept detailed notes on other mass shootings, including the attacks on Columbine High School and Sandy Hook Elementary School.


The teen, calm and collective during the length of his interview, said he was prepared to fight to the very end.


'I didn't have plans of living past that day,' said LaDue, adding that he was going to storm the school with explosives before he started shooting his victims.


'I didn't want to prove that I was a wuss like all the other recent shooters, like Adam Lanza who shot himself,' the teen said.


'I wanted to be taken down by the SWAT just to show that I wasn't a wimp and not like willing to fight with equal force.'


The court papers indicated that the high school junior - who had posted several videos of himself testing explosives to YouTube - was planning to use an assault rifle and a sawed-off shotgun to carry out the attack.


LaDue was arrested after a neighbor became suspicious of the teen going in and out of a storage locker, where cops later found several guns, ammunition and explosives.


KARE


At least two other teens were later arrested for helping LaDue set off explosive, but the friends were not aware of the mass shooting plot, investigators said.


Even LaDue's parents were caught off guard when they learned from investigators about the planned attack.


'(LaDue's mother) stated that she had no concerns about John,' an officer wrote in a report obtained by the St. Paul Pioneer Press.


'She stated that there were no arguments, behavior changes or anything that caused her concern.'


LaDue said he and his father shared a fascination for guns and the weapons he planned to use were actually stolen from his father's collection.


'He thinks I'm just a good kid, because I can lie pretty well and persuade him that I'm just ordinary,' the teen said.


Park Street Guitar Lessons/via Facebook


LaDue, who asked investigators if he could see a psychiatrist, said he saw the attack as an opportunity to die.


'I really wanted to get out of this place,' he said.


'Why is this place so bad,' an investigator asked him.


'I don't know,' the teen responded. 'I don't really care for it.'


LaDue's next court appearance is scheduled for July 30.


USING A MOBILE DEVICE? CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO


jkemp@nydailynews.com


{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.